Thursday, September 23, 2010

Amigo = Dost

On Saturday I hung out with my uncle's nieces and nephew (for which I'm sure there is some specific name in Hindi, though it's the most bizarre relation). Great to finally hang out with people in Delhi who are close to my age. We went out to Rohini first so I could meet the rest of Nishu's family. Rohini is in North Delhi, so we got a nice scenic tour of Delhi roads from the office up to Rohini. (Yes, on a Saturday, I was in the office. Situation normal for HRLN, sadly enough.) When we were getting ready to leave, I discovered that I had left my wallet at the office, and Nishu, Munmun, and Puneet were gracious enough to have us first drop by the office, and then head off for our evening adventures.

We decided on Mexican cuisine, and Nishu had been to a restaurant called Amigo, which she said had good food. It was a bit of an adventure to find the restaurant as we did not have an address, and none of us (obviously not me) really knew the Delhi streets too well. I can't remember the last time I was in a situation like this where at least someone didn't have an iPhone, but we managed to find the restaurant after talking to a few autowallahs and asking around.

The restaurant was clearly an upscale place, as indicated by the blast of cold air that greeted us upon opening the doors. I think it might have been the first time here in India where I felt the lack of my cardigan which was a daily staple back in the U.S. with hyper air-conditioning in every establishment.

Also to my surprise: Amigo did not just serve Mexican cuisine, but also had Italian, Mediterranean, and a variety of other food. We decided to stick with the food that we came for: Mexican. The waiter served chips and salsa to start. The chips were more like taco shells than tortilla chips, but they were still delicious. I was also expecting the salsa to have a more Indian flavor, but they stuck to what I could only identify as American Mexican. Also surprisingly, it was not too spicy! I thought for sure that like the Indian version of Chinese food, they would throw in a lot of hot peppers, but it was fairly tame.

The menu was standard for a Don Pablo's type restaurant: tacos, enchiladas, nachos, fajitas. There were a few uniquely Indian additions - with paneer, etc. We decided to go with nachos, veg fajitas, and one of the paneer dishes.

All three were quite good, but I have to say, my favorite was definitely the nachos. Guess my tastes don't change, no matter what country I'm in!

3 comments: